What types of Driver’s licenses does the DMV issue?
A driving license permits you to drive legally. This document asserts your driving abilities. Most of the people in the USA use it as proof of residence, age, identity, etc.
It is mandatory to have a driving license to drive legally.
Every state sets different requirements to apply for a driving license. Various rules and regulations for obtaining licenses for different types of vehicles are decided by the Department of a motor vehicle and a similar state agency.
MyMoneyMyQuotes team collected the data related to different types of driving licenses issued to the drivers in different states. Before applying for the license, check the rules of your state because rules and regulations are not the same for every state in the USA.
Class A, Class B, Class C and Commercial (CDL) license
- People of 21 years of age and above in the USA can apply for commercial licenses with dangerous material endorsements. These people can also apply for a Class A license.
- Age groups between 18-21 are eligible for Class B license and Class C license. Drivers who have Class B and Class C licenses can drive those vehicles that are covered under the Class E license. Vehicles with a gross vehicle weight rating of 26000 pounds or more can also be driven by the drivers with Class A, Class B, and Class C driving license.
Operator, Class D
- These types of driving licenses are usually given to people of a minimum of 18 years of age. People of 17 years who completed the driving course can also apply for these licenses. Drivers with these license types are permitted by the state to drive passenger cars and vehicles with gross weight vehicle ratings, not more than 26000 pounds. Vehicles with weight not more than 10000 pounds like trailers, towing vans can also be driven by these people.
- These license types give permission to tow a vehicle with gross weight vehicle rating up to 10000 pounds but remember that weight of both vehicles should not exceed over 26000 pounds.
Taxi and Livery, Class E:
- People of 18 years of age and above can apply for these types of driving licenses. Class E drivers can drive those vehicles that are covered under the Class D license. People who have these license types can drive hire vehicles having a capacity of up to 14 passengers.
Motorcycle and Class MJ
- People who completed the age of 18 years and above can apply for these types of driving licenses. People of an age of 18years and above can drive bikes legally with a license but there are some restrictions. You can gather information about these restrictions from DVM’s website.
Junior license and Class DJ
People who do not complete the age of 18 years can apply for these types of license but the state put various restrictions on these driving license types. You can contact your state license agency to get information about these types of driving license and their restrictions. Drivers with a junior license can drive cars and trucks. But there is a point to note that the gross vehicle weight rating of the truck should not exceed 10000 pounds. Drivers who have a Class DJ license can drive towing vehicles but their gross weight vehicle rating should be more than 3000 pounds.