What is a Real ID?
Note: While this document discusses Real ID for the state of Pennsylvania, it is also applicable to the respective state of your residence. Please look up your DMV help site to find more information specific to your state.
As of 1 October 2021, Pennsylvanians may require a REAL ID-compliant driver’s license, digital ID card, or other forms of federally appropriate identification (such as a valid passport or military ID) to board a domestic commercial flight or access a federal building or military facility requesting ID.
REAL ID is a federal statute that governs whether states grant driver’s licenses and ID cards because they are appropriate for federal reasons, such as boarding a domestic commercial flight or accessing a military building or a federal building needing identification. By October 1, 2021, Pennsylvanians may require a REAL ID-compliant visa, identity card, or other forms of legally authorized identity (such as a legitimate passport or military identification) to:
- Business international Board trips.
- Embark on a military base.
- Join a federal facility that needs identification at the entrance.
Do I need a REAL ID?
REAL Identification is free for residents of Pennsylvania. You must be able to get either a REAL ID driving license or ID card or a regular driver’s license or ID card. When you do not obtain a REAL ID, an equivalent means of legally authorized identification (valid passport, military ID, etc.) is required to board domestic commercial flights and access other federal facilities after October 1, 2021
You do not require REAL ID for:
- Access to hospitals.
- Visit the postal service.
- Join state tribunals.
Ask to accept federal services such as social security payments to veterans’ compensation
Preparation for real id
The only thing you can do to qualify for a REAL ID is to bring together your documents. Federal laws allow PennDOT to review a customer’s initial versions of approved copies of the following documents before issuing a Valid ID
- Identity proof
Attach a copy of your original documents such as birth certificate with the state office of vital records with a seal elevated that is provided by a government agency or passport card, unexpired us
- Social Security Certificate
Number: Social Security Passport. When applying for a REAL ID you must show your Social Security Number. Then I’d must be first. The name on your social security card Will MATCH the name on your identification record evidence.
- Multiple certificates of current (if applicable) physical PA identity: Types include new, unexpired PA license or Passport, PA truck registration, auto insurance card, or a similar name and address service bill.
- Proof of any change of legal name: Valid marriage license, court order, or divorce decree issued by the family court of your county. If your new legal name, date of birth, or gender designation varies from your birth certificate o r legal status record records, you must have legal evidence of the change. Make sure when you use a passport as your identification proof and your passport represents your new name, you do NOT Have TO Use NAME CHANGE PROOF. When you’ve been married more than once, you’ll need to show a certificate of marriage indicating the change of terms. You will NOT have to submit papers for divorce UNLESS you reverted to your maiden name.
When you are a Non-U.S. lawfully present
- Documents appropriate to residents include: DHS granted an unexpired Employment Authorization Card (EAD); Form I-766 or Form 1-688B.
- Permanent Resident Card I-551 Free, Unexpired Permanent Resident Card (Green Card) issued by DHS or INS.
- Unexpired international passport with an unexpired U.S. visa and a conditional verification of permanent residency I-94.
Apply For Pre-Verification
Pre-verify online-when you received your first Pennsylvania driving license or learner permit and photo identification card after the completion of September 2003 then it is already registered under the documentation file. If you have completed your application for REAL ID Online Pre-Verification, you will receive follow-up contact from PennDOT about the status of your submission for pre-Verification and if your records are on file with the department.
How can I get a REAL ID?
Pre-verified customers can apply online within 15 business days and receive their REAL IDs in the mail
Get REAL Personal ID
- Visit every PennDOT REAL ID center to check and photograph your records, and collect your REAL ID at the time of operation
- Visit any PennDOT Driver License Centre to check and photograph your records, and collect your REAL ID within 15 working days.
Is a REAL ID for me?
The real ID act passed through the U.S. Congress in 2005 mandates improvements to state laws, processes, and specifications for issuing driver’s licenses and identification cards, whether the federal government is to recognize them as identity papers. PennDOT expects that ID-compliant driver licenses and ID cards will be eligible in 2019 at the customer’s option. Using this test to decide whether you have a Valid ID, or whether you can choose to use a standard state-issued driver license or ID.